From exploring picturesque nature reserves to sampling local cuisine, there are countless things to do in Coffs Harbour, making it an ideal destination for travelers of all ages and interests.
Situated in the heart of the New South Wales North Coast, Coffs Harbour offers a unique blend of natural beauty, cultural experiences, and outdoor adventure. From stunning beaches to world-class attractions, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant and welcoming community.
In this article, we’ll explore nine of the best things to do in Coffs Harbour, whether you’re a nature lover, a history buff, or an adrenaline junkie. Get ready to discover some of the highlights of this stunning region, and make the most of your visit to Coffs Harbour!
Scroll down to know about the 10 activities you must indulge yourself in as a visitor to Coffs Harbous
Visit the Big Banana – Top things to do in Coffs Harbour
The Big Banana is a popular tourist attraction located in Coffs Harbour, a coastal city in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Here’s are some things to do in Coffs Harbour you can expect to experience as a visitor to the Big Banana:
- Giant Banana: The main attraction of the Big Banana is the giant banana itself. It’s a 13-meter long, 5-meter high fiberglass structure in the shape of a banana. You can take photos with the banana and even climb to the top for a view of the surrounding area.
- Tours: There are several guided tours available at the Big Banana. You can take a plantation tour to learn about the history and cultivation of bananas, or a chocolate tour to see how chocolate is made and sample some delicious treats.
- Amusement Park: The Big Banana also features a small amusement park with a range of rides suitable for all ages. You can go on the famous toboggan ride, the water park, or take a ride on the mini-golf course. There are also other activities like ice skating, laser tag, and a 4D cinema. Visiting this amusement park is one of the top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
- Gift Shop: The Big Banana has a gift shop where you can purchase banana-related souvenirs and gifts, as well as other items like clothing, toys, and snacks.
- Café and Restaurant: The attraction has a café and restaurant where you can grab a bite to eat or drink. You can choose from a range of items like burgers, sandwiches, wraps, and smoothies.
- Events: Throughout the year, the Big Banana hosts various events such as music festivals, car shows, and school holiday activities. Witnessing these events is one of the top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
- Surrounding Area: The Big Banana is located in a scenic area of Coffs Harbour, surrounded by lush greenery and banana plantations. You can take a walk around the surrounding area and enjoy the scenery.
Explore the beaches – Refreshing things to do in Coffs Harbour
Coffs Harbour is known for its beautiful beaches, and you’re likely to have a great time exploring them. Some of the popular beaches in the area include Park Beach, Jetty Beach, and Diggers Beach. Each beach has its own unique features, so you might want to do some research beforehand to find the ones that best suit your interests.
The weather can also play a big role in your experience. Coffs Harbour has a temperate climate, with mild winters and warm summers. The best time to visit the beaches is typically during the summer months (December-February) when the weather is warm and sunny. However, even in the cooler months, the beaches can still be enjoyable.
When exploring the beaches among top things to do in Coffs Harbour, it’s important to practice safety and be aware of the conditions. Always swim between the flags and pay attention to any warnings or signs posted. You may also want to bring sunscreen, a hat, and plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Take a dolphin-watching cruise – Enjoyable things to do in Coffs Harbour
Coffs Harbour, located on the east coast of Australia, is a popular destination for dolphin watching cruises also. Dolphin watching cruises in Coffs Harbour typically operate year-round, and offer visitors the opportunity to see wild dolphins up close in their natural habitat.
Most dolphin watching cruises in Coffs Harbour last around two hours, and take visitors on a leisurely tour of the local coastline. Along the way, visitors will likely see a variety of marine life, including whales, seals, and a wide range of bird species. However, the main attraction is the resident pod of bottlenose dolphins, which are known for their playful and curious nature. So, witnessing these is one of the best top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
Dolphin watching cruises in Coffs Harbour are typically run by experienced and knowledgeable guides, who will provide visitors with information about the local ecosystem, as well as the behavior and habitat of the dolphins. Many cruises also offer interactive experiences, such as the opportunity to feed and swim with the dolphins.
It is important to note that dolphin watching cruises in Coffs Harbour for top things to do in Coffs Harbour operate under strict regulations to ensure the safety and well-being of the dolphins. These regulations include limits on the number of boats in the area, and strict guidelines around the distance that boats must maintain from the dolphins.
Visit the Coffs Harbour Butterfly House – Exploratory things to do in Coffs Harbour
Located in the beautiful coastal town of Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia, The Coffs Harbour Butterfly House is home to hundreds of free-flying butterflies from all over the world, and visitors can enjoy walking through the indoor rainforest and experiencing these beautiful creatures up close. It is one of the best things to do in Coffs Harbour.
During your visit, you can expect to see a variety of butterfly species, including the majestic Ulysses Butterfly, the vibrant Blue Triangle Butterfly, and the iconic Monarch Butterfly. You will also have the opportunity to learn about the fascinating life cycle of butterflies, their behavior, and their importance to the ecosystem. So, be sure to witness this when planning top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
The Butterfly House is open daily from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, and admission fees apply. Additionally, there are guided tours available, and you can also purchase butterfly-themed souvenirs from the gift shop.
Coffs Harbour Butterfly House can be a magical and educational experience for people of all ages, and it’s definitely worth adding to your list of things to do in Coffs Harbour.
Walk the Solitary Islands Coastal Walk – Peaceful things to do in Coffs Harbour
The Solitary Islands Coastal Walk is a beautiful trail located in Coffs Harbour, NSW, and your experience on the trail will depend on several factors such as weather, time of day, physical ability, and personal preferences. So, you can plan this in your top things to do in Coffs Harbour list accordingly.
Overall, the walk is known for its stunning coastal views, beautiful beaches, and diverse wildlife. The trail is well-maintained and well-marked, and it offers a mix of easy and more challenging sections. If you enjoy hiking and being in nature, you are likely to find the experience to be rewarding and enjoyable.
As you walk the trail, you can expect to encounter a variety of terrain, including sandy beaches, rocky headlands, and lush forested areas. You may see whales, dolphins, and sea turtles in the ocean, and kangaroos, wallabies, and a range of bird species on land. If you love exploring such creatures, visiting this place can be one of the most things to do in Coffs Harbour.
It’s important to note that the weather in this area can be unpredictable, so you should be prepared for changing conditions. Be sure to wear comfortable and appropriate footwear, bring sunscreen, a hat, and plenty of water. Additionally, it’s recommended that you check the weather forecast and trail conditions before setting out to indulge in such things to do in Coffs Harbour.
Go on a scenic drive – Calming things to do in Coffs Harbour
Go on a scenic drive in Coffs Harbour, and give yourself an opportunity to experience a beautiful natural environment with breathtaking views, as well as opportunities to explore local culture and attractions. Here are some highlights you may experience:
Stunning coastal scenery: Coffs Harbour is situated on the coast of New South Wales, and there are numerous scenic drives that offer panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean, among other top things to do in Coffs Harbour. You can drive along the Solitary Islands Coastal Drive, which runs from Coffs Harbour to Woolgoolga, and take in the ocean vistas and rugged coastline.
Picturesque beaches and national parks – Fun things to do in Coffs Harbour
Coffs Harbour is known for its stunning beaches and beautiful national parks. Here are some experiences you can have in these picturesque locations:
Beaches: Coffs Harbour has many beautiful beaches, including Park Beach, Jetty Beach, and Diggers Beach. Spend the day lounging on the sand, swimming in the crystal-clear waters, or trying out some water sports like surfing, paddleboarding, or kayaking. If you enjoy such adventure sports, visiting these national parks is one of the best things to do in Coffs Harbour.
National Parks: Coffs Harbour is home to several national parks, including Dorrigo National Park, Bongil Bongil National Park, and Bindarri National Park. These parks offer a range of experiences, from scenic walks and hikes to wildlife spotting and waterfall viewing, among other top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
Whale Watching: Between May and November, humpback whales can be spotted off the coast of Coffs Harbour. Take a whale watching tour to see these majestic creatures up close and personal.
Scenic Drives: Take a scenic drive along the Coffs Coast, with stunning ocean views and beautiful coastal towns. The Solitary Islands Coastal Drive is a popular route, offering plenty of photo opportunities.
Camping: Many of the national parks in Coffs Harbour offer camping facilities, allowing you to spend a night under the stars and surrounded by nature. Wake up to the sound of birds and the smell of fresh sea air to experience the best of top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
Local food and wine – Top things to do in Coffs Harbour for foodies
Coffs Harbour is a haven for foodies and wine enthusiasts, with plenty of local produce and vineyards to explore. Here are some highlights:
- Seafood: Coffs Harbour is well-known for its fresh seafood, with prawns, oysters, and fish being particularly popular. You can find local seafood at many of the restaurants and markets in the area to enjoy the best food and top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
- Avocados: Coffs Harbour is also known for its avocados, which are a key ingredient in many local dishes.
- Berries: The region is home to a number of berry farms, which produce strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries that are perfect for snacking or using in desserts.
- Bellingen Valley Wines: This vineyard produces a range of award-winning wines, including chardonnay, shiraz, and merlot. To taste these wines is one of the top top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
- Two Tails Wines: Another local vineyard, Two Tails produces a variety of wines including sparkling, white, and red wines.
- Raleigh Winery: This family-owned vineyard offers a range of wines that are made using traditional methods and local grapes.
In addition to these local wine producers, there are also several restaurants and bars that specialize in showcasing local wines. The Latitude 30 restaurant, for example, has an extensive wine list that features many of the region’s best wines. Whether you’re a wine connoisseur or just looking for a delicious local drink, Coffs Harbour has plenty of options to choose from. So, there are many top things to do in Coffs Harbour at this destination.
Quaint towns and villages – Things to do in Coffs Harbour for a perfect weekend getaway
Coffs Harbour is surrounded by many quaint towns and villages that offer a charming, relaxed atmosphere and are perfect for a day trip or weekend getaway. Here are some recommended places to visit:
- Bellingen: Located about 30 minutes south of Coffs Harbour, Bellingen is a picturesque town nestled in the Bellinger Valley. Known for its arts and crafts scene, Bellingen has a thriving arts community and many galleries and shops to explore, among either top things to do in Coffs Harbour. The town also has a great food and wine scene, with many cafes and restaurants serving up delicious local produce.
- Sawtell: Just 15 minutes south of Coffs Harbour, Sawtell is a coastal village known for its beautiful beaches, charming main street, and relaxed atmosphere. Take a stroll along the main street and explore the boutiques, cafes, and restaurants, or head to the beach for some sun and surf.
- Dorrigo: Located about an hour west of Coffs Harbour, Dorrigo is a small town nestled in the Dorrigo Plateau. The town is known for its stunning scenery, with waterfalls, rainforests, and national parks nearby. Visit the Dorrigo National Park and take a hike through the rainforest, or explore the town’s charming main street and historic buildings to experience the best of top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
- Woolgoolga: About 25 minutes north of Coffs Harbour, Woolgoolga is a coastal village known for its beautiful beaches, ocean pool, and multicultural community. The town has a strong Indian and Sikh community, and you can taste some of the delicious Indian cuisine at the local restaurants and cafes.
Visit the Coffs Harbour Regional Gallery – Fun things to do in Coffs Harbour for art lovers
Visiting the Coffs Harbour Regional Gallery can be a wonderful cultural experience, offering a diverse range of contemporary and traditional art exhibitions. Here are some of the tthings to do in Coffs Harbour during your visit here.
Art Exhibitions: The gallery features a range of art exhibitions throughout the year, showcasing both local and national artists. The exhibitions cover a wide range of artistic styles, including painting, sculpture, photography, and video.
Workshops and events: The gallery regularly hosts workshops and events, providing opportunities for visitors to engage with artists and learn new artistic skills to enjoy the top things to do in Coffs Harbour. These can range from painting and drawing classes to film screenings and artist talks.
Collection displays: The gallery has a permanent collection of over 1,000 artworks, including works by some of Australia’s most renowned artists. The collection is regularly rotated, offering visitors a chance to see different works on display.
Cultural experiences: The gallery provides a unique opportunity to engage with local culture and history through the artwork on display. Visitors can learn about the region’s Aboriginal heritage, as well as its colonial history and contemporary cultural landscape.
Family-friendly activities: The gallery also offers family-friendly activities, including art-making workshops and guided tours designed specifically for children. These activities can make your time immersive and allow you to enjoy the best of top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
Coffs Harbour Regional Gallery is a wonderful destination for anyone interested in art and culture. With its diverse range of exhibitions and events, it offers a unique opportunity to engage with local and national artists and learn more about the region’s cultural history.
Go fishing – Fun things to do in Coffs Harbour
Coffs Harbour is known for its excellent fishing opportunities. The city has a range of fishing spots, including rivers, estuaries, and offshore reefs, that are home to a variety of fish species. Here, you can have a fun experience immersing yourselves in some fun things to do in Coffs Harbour
Some of the most common fish species that can be caught in Coffs Harbour include bream, flathead, whiting, tailor, snapper, kingfish, and marlin. Depending on the time of year, you may also be able to catch other species such as barramundi, jewfish, or tuna.
It’s important to note that fishing regulations and restrictions apply in Coffs Harbour, and you will need to obtain the necessary licenses and permits before you can fish. It’s also a good idea to check the weather conditions and the tides before you go fishing to enjoy the fun things to do in Coffs Harbour.
Explore the hinterland – Exploratory things to do in Coffs Harbour
Coffs Harbour is a coastal city located in New South Wales, Australia, and it is known for its beautiful beaches, national parks, and lush hinterland. Exploring the hinterland in Coffs Harbour can be a great adventure for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts looking forward to enjoying the best of all top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
The hinterland in Coffs Harbour is home to stunning waterfalls, rainforests, and scenic lookouts. Visitors can explore the area on foot or by car, and there are several hiking trails and scenic drives to choose from.
One of the most popular hiking trails in the hinterland is the Dorrigo National Park, which is located about 65 km west of Coffs Harbour. This national park is home to the Dorrigo Rainforest Centre, which offers visitors an educational experience about the local flora and fauna. So, exploring it is must among all top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
Visitors can also take a scenic drive through the Waterfall Way, which is a 185 km stretch of road that passes through the scenic hinterland of Coffs Harbour. Along the way, visitors can stop at several lookouts and waterfalls, such as the Dangar Falls and Ebor Falls.
Overall it’s going to be an excellent experience for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. The area offers stunning natural attractions, and visitors can enjoy hiking trails, scenic drives, and educational experiences about the local flora and fauna.
Try the local cuisine – Top things to do in Coffs Harbour for foodies
Coffs Harbour is famous for its delicious seafood and fresh produce, which can be found in many of the local restaurants and cafes. Here are some recommended places to try:
- Hoey Moey: This iconic pub serves up classic pub fare with a twist. Try their fish and chips or the Hoey burger, both made with fresh local ingredients.
- Latitude 30: This restaurant offers a modern take on traditional Australian cuisine, with a focus on seafood. Try their seared scallops or the local catch of the day.
- The Spare Room: This cozy cafe serves up delicious breakfast and lunch dishes, including their popular avocado toast with local tomatoes and feta.
- Shearwater Restaurant: Located within the Pacific Bay Resort, this restaurant offers stunning ocean views and a menu featuring fresh local seafood and produce. Try their prawn linguine or the seafood platter to enjoy the top things to do in Coffs Harbour.
- Bluebottles Brasserie: This casual beachside restaurant is perfect for a relaxed lunch or dinner. Try their famous fish tacos or the grilled octopus.
It’s a Wrap!
From relaxing on the beach to exploring the lush hinterland, Coffs Harbour offers a wealth of experiences for travelers. Whether you’re seeking adventure, cultural immersion, or a chance to simply unwind and enjoy the natural beauty of the region, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant and welcoming town. So why not plan your next holiday to Coffs Harbour and discover all that this stunning region has to offer? With its diverse range of attractions and experiences, Coffs Harbour is sure to be a destination you’ll remember for years to come as you will definitely enjoy some top things to do in Coffs Harbour. Also, explore top things to do in Airlie beach.
What are the best things to do in Coffs Harbour?
Some of the top things to do in Coffs Harbour include visiting the Big Banana, exploring the beaches and coastal areas, taking a scenic drive through the hinterland, and exploring the local markets and galleries.
What is the weather like in Coffs Harbour?
Coffs Harbour has a subtropical climate, with mild winters and warm summers. The average temperature in summer is around 28°C (82°F), while in winter it's around 18°C (64°F).
What is the best time to visit Coffs Harbour?
The best time to visit Coffs Harbour is during the autumn (March to May) and spring (September to November) months when the weather is mild and there are fewer crowds.
What are the best beaches in Coffs Harbour?
Some of the best beaches in Coffs Harbour include Park Beach, Jetty Beach, and Diggers Beach. There are also many other beaches and coves to explore in the surrounding areas.
How do I get to Coffs Harbour?
Coffs Harbour is easily accessible by car, bus, or plane. The town has its own airport, with direct flights from major cities including Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne.
What are the local attractions in Coffs Harbour?
Some of the top local attractions in Coffs Harbour include the Big Banana, the Coffs Harbour Butterfly House, the Coffs Harbour Regional Gallery, and the Solitary Islands Marine Park.
Where can I find accommodation in Coffs Harbour?
There are many accommodation options in Coffs Harbour, including hotels, motels, apartments, and holiday parks. It's best to book in advance, especially during peak travel seasons.